Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Flying Geese Quilt---5 Years Later...




This is the quilt that I mentioned in my last post that I managed to quilt this past week.  This is one that I posted about way back in 2007!!!  Look here to read.  That's a long time waiting to get finished!  The funny thing is that I really was not even motivated to quilt it at all because of the piecing of this quilt.  It was one of my first quilts and I think only the second top I completed here?  I was always disturbed by the border and nearly took the whole thing off at one stage.  Then last week I figured I would just quilt it and then cut some of the border away to stop it from overtaking the quilt.  In the end, because I had been looking at what one of my customers did to finish her quilt by scalloping it, I thought this would be a good opportunity to try this technique out.  It was a bit more fiddly--especially in the fact that I had to make the binding biased, plus I had no idea how long I needed to make it to be enough for the curves.  I just decided to make it really long and hope that would be enough.  So, after all that, I love this quilt!  I love the Japanese indigos, the colors and especially the quilting!!!  Those butterflies were very very fun, even though they took a long time to stitch out!!  By the way, if you are still interested in my special long arm quilting price (until the end of the month) you should contact me soon because the 2$ price will move to a permanent $2.50 per square foot.  thequiltingplatypus(at)gmail(dot)com  I have a catalog of patterns that I can direct you to online. 

Anyway, I am quite please with how this turned out and just goes to show that you never know until the last stitch is stitched whether or not you will really love or not love a quilt...  My husband loves it even with the girly colors:)

4 comments:

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, well done for finally tackling it, it looks fab! Love the quilted butterflies and the scalloped edge

Annie said...

It has turned out really pretty. I love all those geese blocks...a lot of work. How good it must feel to have it finished after all those years.

Karen (nybird) (KMello) said...

Oh wow! I think the scallop border is awesome....as is the entire quilt.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Beautiful!! Could you please tell where you got the pattern? =)

thanks!
annie

Total Pageviews