Saturday, February 3, 2007

Rhubarb Relish





I never had any relishes before I came to Australia. I think they are not as prevelant in the States, so I had never tried one before. I find they are quite nice to use as a spread with sandwiches, especially corned beef or lamb. I made a batch today of rhubarb relish today since our garden is getting somewhat overcrowded with rhubarb of late. I thought I would share the recipe here:

4 cups chopped rhubarb
4 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons salt
pinch pepper
4 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar

Boil together until onion is cooked...
Then thicken with:

2 tablespoons cornflower
1-2 tablespoons curry

Will thicken as cools.


I took a few pictures of the process. As you can see in the third picture, once the onions turn clear you can add the thickener and curry powder. Then let it boil off a while until it thickens a bit more. It usually takes me about 3 hours to cook on the stove on the lowest heating. This batch in the photos are a double batch so the recipe above would make about half as much shown. You don't have to do anything special putting the relish in jars other than make sure the jars are sterile. They will last up to several months in the refrigerator.

Hope you like it!

No comments:

Total Pageviews