Saturday, July 28, 2012
More English Paper Piecing
Actually, I haven't had much time at all these days to go downstairs to sew! I have been taking my English paper piecing with me everywhere and am getting a few done now. Keep in mind that my hexies are only the one inch size as opposed to the Hexy MF Quilt Along size which are 1.5 inches. I've decided I am going to need about a 14 x 16 row lay out, which equates to 224 flowers (1568 hexies). I've made 54 thus far and I thought I would share with you a few things I have learned about English paper piecing since I started this project.
1. Basting with glue is so much faster than thread basting.
2. Karisma pens and Sewline pens are equally as good as the other.
3. Use Superior Botton Line thread for hand sewing--it is so fine it doesn't show and twists less.
4. If you need to condition your thread you can use an old candle--no need for fancy products.
5. Use a longer as opposed to shorter needle length. It will save your hands from cramping.
6. Tie a knot in the thread around the eye of the needle so the thread doesn't slip out. Much easier.
7. If you live in Australia and want to order papers BPPatch is a good place to get them.
8. Store your project in a small container and take with you everywhere!!