Thursday, November 17, 2011

Swaps Received and First Long Arm Quilt Quilted!!

Ok, to say that I have been busy lately could possibly be an understatement. Last Tuesday the machine was delivered, we witnessed an actual live tornado while unpacking the machine.  Thank goodness no one was hurt but it did take the roof of one ladies house in town and ripped up some trees.  Then, it was training training training all day Tuesday and all day Wednesday until my brain was so full I thought it might possibly pop.  Both boys have been sick, including rushing Alexander to the doctor's office this morning after throwing up three times.  I've also been concerned because he is starting to develop some asthma.  We will probably try him on some non-steroidal preventives soon and see if they help.  We are also at full speed here on the farm--shearing next week.  Yikes!  I can't wait for things to slow down a bit...

But, today I received not just one but two swap items!!!  The top one (from the SewHappyGeek Wallhanging Swap) is from Shannon who was participating in her first swap!  Ok, so I don't have feel I need to elaborate how amazing I think this quilt is that she sent me.  The bottom line is that my husband and I are fighting where it gets hung in the house as we both want to have it in our working rooms.  It is definitely something that inspires me to make an art quilt, I don't feel I will have the skills to make such an amazing piece for a long long time yet.  I love it and the picture does not even do it justice.  There is so much more depth in it when you see it in real life.  I particularly love the tree trunk on the right side.  She also sent me a pouch which is an amazing piece of work in itself!  I am the luckiest swap partner!! 

The second swap item was part of the Denyse Schmidt Quilts Doll Quilt Swap and mine was received from Elaine who sent this soothing quilt called "Across the Sea" with some awesome blues and greens.  She also sent a beautiful pouch to go along with the quilt.  I love them both!  Thank you so much.  I am hoping to participate in future doll quilt swaps and have a dedicated wall to hang them all up collage style.  This one will hang in the number one spot as it was my first time doing a doll quilt swap. 

So, I know that there are a couple of people (my dad for one) who is waiting to see some pictures and a post about my new machine.  Hopefully that will come soon and I can show you the machine in action:)  I did have a break down over the weekend, but a call to my dealer and some video Skyping, some elbow grease (not really, just some crawling around in tight spaces and messing around with tools and such) and we had it fixed.  Thank goodness!  I am learning and you can see a picture of my very first finished quilt on the long arm in the third and fourth pictures.  That is my Wonky Cross quilt I made with Urban Chiks fabrics from their Hullabaloo line.  I wanted something a little modern looking so I chose a quilting pantograph called Modern Mayhem.  Like it?  I think it turned out ok for a first go...  Stay tuned for more...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really liked the cross quilt and then when I read it is yours from beginning to quilting... great job.

Mama Spark said...

Those swap quilts are amazing! Love them. I really like the quilting you did too. I just may have to have Liz order that pattern! Where is it from?

Shannon said...

I'm so glad you like the quilt! Don't be afraid to try art quilts, for me they're so much easier than block quilts. I'm always in awe of everyone's perfect points and even blocks, but in an art quilt, it doesn't have to match. Definitely try it when you're feeling creative.

Also, congrats on your longarm machine! I'm saving up for one and can't wait. I love using my mom's when I have the rare opportunity. I hope you have lots and lots of fun with it!

Alli said...

Your first longarm quilting looks great! I love the design you chose! :)

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, lucky girl getting the winning SHG quilt! Your other swap quilt is lovely too, and your first longarm quilt looks fab, enjoy your new toy!

One for a wish.. said...

Love swap quilts - that first one is AMAZING. Glad to hear the long-arm quilter is going well.

Total Pageviews