Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Caned Seat Quilt Mini

Ok, so last week I had been thinking that I had so much fun with the paper piecing for the geese in a ring block that I thought I would do a little bit more paper piecing.  I found this idea looking through Flickr and the link to make these blocks here.  They are called Caned Seat.  Hmmm...  if anyone was thinking that geese in a ring is a bit of a pain to construct, these blocks blow that right out of the water.  No, they are not more difficult to make, it's just that there are 10 pieces per block.  You are looking at 40 different segments here.  I started out thinking I was actually going to make a quilt with Erin McMorris's Summersault prints.  I made one block with her pink and green fabrics and thought I would add blue and orange blocks in and alternate.  I didn't think it looked very good though.  Actually, I don't really feel these fabrics were the right choice for this design full stop, but they were in front of me asking to be cut and I just went for it.  Anyway, rather than carry on I decided this will make a nice mini quilt around 30 inches square.  If I do this pattern again I will chose the fabrics very differently.  I do like the Kona Bahama Blue and Pacific border though... 

5 comments:

Alli said...

I think it looks fantastic! It looked to me like you were going for a warm-cool thingy. :D

Katy Cameron said...

It looks fab, didn't notice any issues with the colour choices :o)

Jules said...

wow it looks great!, complicated though. yes.

Unknown said...

This is awesome! I love it, especially with the fabrics you chose.

Sandra Kaye said...

I really love to paper piece. I like the look of this quilt... it's so cool. Thanks for posting the site where to find it. Cheers--Sandie

Total Pageviews