Wednesday, June 22, 2011

String-X Blocks for Stitch 'n' Bits



I've been feeling a bit like I'm in a fog the last couple of days.  I think it's because Oliver has just gotten through some more teething (he got his two front teeth in now) and I've been getting up in the night somewhere between 4 and 6 times.  Normally I get up 3 times and consider myself lucky as Alexander was a lot more demanding.  Ha!  He still is too, but in different ways.  I'm pretty much convinced now that boys are more demanding all around than girls.  Our house is so lively, jumpy and loud! It could be the weather too.  They need to get outside, but it has been cold out, or wet, etc..  Even when we bundled Alexander up to go out with dad, he comes back and says, "Mama, bike's cold!"  We have a ritual that every morning I ask him what he dreamed about during the night and yesterday he surprised me and said, "Warm bike!"  He's only two and a half, but the things he comes up with are so entertaining.  I think anyone that knows me would know that I am in my element having two boys.  I love the action, the liveliness, and most of all the cuddles. 

So, did I tell you that I signed up for my very first quilting bee?  I'm in a new bee called Sew Australia and I am excited to be able to get to know some online peeps a bit more and sew together!  This month's block, the first round,  is for Stitch 'n' Bits. Isn't it beautiful?  She has beautiful taste using the Henna Garden and I'm looking forward to seeing how her quilt comes together.  If you are interested in making one of these blocks/quilts for yourself.  This is the tutorial we are using here.  I do love love the look of the quilt when finished.  If you want to see an example of a finished quilt check out this link here.  I did have trouble making my blocks though.  It's not quite as easy as it seems.  There are a lot of biases to work with and it requires precise trimming.  It took me a while and a couple of goes at it before I felt I had something workable.  I did find that I didn't like the part in the tutorial where you have to use a triangle laid underneath each corner to show where to cut.  I don't like procedures that are not precise and require a lot of adjusting to get right.  Instead, I marked the centers at 2.25" and then used the 45degree line on my ruler to cut off the corners.  Made me much happier!  I will make a quilt out of this design one day--I really love it!

4 comments:

Coisas da Laura said...

It looks awsome!!!I`m in love with it! Congrats!
Hugs from Brasil!

Caitlin said...

I think these blocks are dreamy :) I've done a traditional string quilt before but have not yet tried this variation. I'm definitely putting it on my list!!

SkippityDoDahQuilts said...

These blocks are yummy! I've never done a string quilt, so I can't wait to see it finished. You're going to be busy with your new L.A.!! When do you get it, again?

fiatcat said...

great blocks! I want a quilt done in these blocks as well !!!!

Total Pageviews