Saturday, June 19, 2010
Winding Ways Quilt in Aqua and Red
Aaaahhh, so I have been diligently working on this quilt over the last week and a half. After I started the Katie Jump Rope Apple Core quilt, I couldn't figure out why I was having so much trouble sewing curves. I had done it before. I did it with a John Flynn quilt kit in a quilt called "Wheel of Mystery" using batiks. It was one of the first quilts I ever made and I didn't really have any trouble sewing the curves in That quilt... So, I decided I would try the same pattern out again after I found the template set that I had purchased a long while back called Winding Ways by Marti Mitchell-same quilt block different name. I decided to use some of my favorites in my ever growing aqua and red fat quarter collection. Actually, I've been trying to collect by the half yard, so I used fabrics from my 'back-up' set to make this quilt. The sewing has been slightly slower than just sewing straight, but fairly easy and straight forward. I think the apple core is just plain difficult no matter what technique is used. Oh well, anyway, I am happy with my result! I can't wait to quilt this one, I will just quilt stitching in the ditch on this one and use Kona Snow for the backing and just use some Kei dots for the binding.
My next mini project is to get the borders onto my Neptune quilt! I will use the suggestion to quilt that quilt in waves. Great idea and I can't wait to try it out! Originally I had thought I would ditch stitch and then quilt lines between the ditching but it would drive me crazy to try and turn the quilt that many times on my sewing machine!!!
The last picture is of some fabric I received recently in a swap. I had to swap some of my most precious Flea Market Fancy fabrics, but I think it was worth it. Mono pez by American Jane. Beautiful! I will dream about what to do with these fabrics for a while at least...