Saturday, December 7, 2013

Bring Me Flowers BOM







A few months ago (September), I signed up for Amitie's "Bring Me Flowers" BOM a pattern by Jen Kingwell.  I've never done a Block of the Month in which everything was sent out month by month, so I thought I'd try it.  It's also supposed to be done entirely by hand, which I will admit here and now that I have not done.  I will hand piece where necessary, for example, in these blocks I did the applique by hand, but otherwise I haven't yet.  I have to admit, I appreciate the sturdiness of machine sewing, it holds up, it's neat and I enjoy it.  Why mess with that, so half the fun of making these blocks for me has been trying to figure out how I will get around having to sew by hand.  The most challenging so far was sewing the drunkard's paths (which are extremely small) by the machine.  I've used quite a bit of foundation piecing to make these as well.

As far as the fabric selection goes, I have substituted out a couple of the Jen Kingwell fabrics out for fabrics from my own stash here and there just to give it the little bit of extra pop of color that I like.  I'm caught up now and anxiously waiting for the next blocks to arrive!

In the meantime, I've been moving at a glacial pace through the easiest of the borders (the checkerboard border) of my Midnight at the Oasis quilt.  I have half of one side finished and I'm determined to make finishing this border my sewing goal for the week. 

9 comments:

Bowbailey said...

your blocks look fantastic! I'm hoping this comes out as a pattern after the BOM is over, so I can make one. I'm presently finishing up my Sweet Beans and Green TV quilt, that was almost all machine stitched except for the applique also. Jen sure has a great pattern making mind

Pinkadot Quilts said...

So pretty!

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

I am really enjoying watching your progress on this project and every time you show it I kick myself for not signing up. I will continue to live this one through you. hugs

Karen said...

Your blocks are gorgeous! I am not much of a hand appliquer. I love the look but it does my head in. I am not good with small pieces of fabric. One day when I have more time on my hands I can see myself doing more applique.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your blocks are beautiful! I had to laugh at the phrase "glacial pace"--unfortunately that is the speed I work at nearly all the time.

Rachaeldaisy said...

These are such great blocks. I like that you're swapping a few fabrics to give it a bit of your own personality.

sachywadhwani said...

micro touch titanium trimmer - Titanium Art
In the tin we will be making the titanium tube lighter and more durable. With these new metal titanium hair dye trimmer, you can samsung titanium watch shave easily. This is titanium alloy nier a classic aluminum titanium bikes trimmer made by

Unknown said...

q564v6nsfmj119 black dildos,horse dildo,masturbators,dildos,cheap sex toys,vibrators,sex chair,huge dildos,finger vibrator c965n4llnfh967

seylot said...

na552 pit viper sunglasses,timberland norge,timberland hombre,supra shoes türkiye,timberlanddames,supra footwear deutschland,chacos sandals,etniesshoesireland,inov-8shoesaustralia kn201

Total Pageviews