Saturday, February 2, 2008

What's Your Quilting Style?

Idaho Quilter left me a You Make My Day award on her blog, but I haven't figured out how to add it to my posts yet... I am still learning this whole blogging thing. I started thinking about who I would give an award to, but I have to say I wouldn't be able to chose. I read so many blogs and all that I read make my day in some way. The fact that I live in such an isolated spot means that I don't have quilty friends or classes or even quilt shops that I can visit nearby so I rely on catching up with all of you in the blogging world! I get my inspiration and my information from You! Those who comment on my blog are especially helpful to me as I the only feedback I get is from my husband, who is great and very supportive, but doesn't see things the way a quilter would.

So, I was thinking about quilting styles this morning, what motivates people, what they like and don't like, etc. Since I started quilting three years ago, I have tried to be open minded to exposing myself to as much as I can. I have started to wonder what it is that defines me, what I like and what is not me and what things I would like to incorporate into my style in future. So, those of you who would like to play along with me consider yourself tagged and tell me 7 of your quilting likes, 7 dislikes, and 7 things you would like to try but have been intimidated or just haven't gotten to yet... Please leave me a comment so I can read your post. I am curious to know what other people like or don't like in their quilts...

So here is what I came up with:

What I like:

1. Single Block Quilts that repeat throughout the quilt. Preferably a traditional style block of some sort.

2. Quilts with many different fabrics, sometimes the more the better--a scrappy look.

3. Blended quilts.

4. Color. And lots of it! I think that my love of color is the main reason I enjoy the process of quilting.

5. The geometry of quilts. I just like looking at geometrical shapes. When I was young I used to like those coloring books where you had different geometrical patterns that you would color in the way you wanted. That is what quilting is like for me, an adult's geometrical coloring book.

6. Large quilts. I can't seem to be satisfied with making small quilts...

7. Symmetry and uniformity. I can't help it, my genetic makeup won't allow me be otherwise even though I Have tried.


What I am not so fond of:

1. Medallion quilts. There have been a few that I have liked, but in general...no.

2. Sashing. Generalization. If it is incorporated into the design of the block I like it. Sometimes I see sashing as taking up too much space.

3. Large blocks. I don't know why, too much empty space maybe? Not enough going on? Who knows...

4. Empty spaces. Unless it is to feature some special quilting or is part of a background like in a Lone Star or Tree of Life quilt.

5. Samplers. Like hodge podge to me mostly. I like them sometimes if there is a cohesiveness to them...

6. Too many muddy colors. I like muddy fabrics when they are there to allow a brighter color to PoP out at you, but when a quilt is all muddy it just doesn't feel good to me.

7. Stitchery or Redwork. I don't know, it's just my personal taste. Doesn't excite me.


What I would like to do in future that I have mostly been intimidated by (or haven't gotten to yet):

1. Applique. Not sure why I still avoid trying it... I love it used in borders.

2. Paper piecing. I would love to try a New York Beauty quilt or something by Karen K. Stone.

3. I always have liked the look of a Mariner's Star.

4. I want to do Long Arm quilting!!!

5. Curved piecing. I once did a Wheel of Mystery, so why am I still intimidated?

6. Take a class with Kaffe Fassett

7. Go on a quilting retreat.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

What a great idea. I promise I'll have a go later in the week.

The Calico Cat said...

Whole lot of ditto going on here...

BuggletQuilts said...

Hi from Snowy Chicago! I have recently discovered blogs and am now addicted. I have been quilting since 2001, here's my list:
Things I love:
1) the yellow brick road pattern by Terry Atkinson. It looks fantastic, always.
2)Big quilts, I have a thing where they have to be 50" or bigger.
3) Color. Love it, but also love neutrals like the Serenity line.
4)The "quiltiness" of it once it's washed.
5)retreats. they are great.
6)the feel of the fabric. Love to play with the fabric.
7)secondary patterns. I love when you get something totally different than you thought.

Dislikes:
1)handwork of any kind.sad really, my mom is an award winning needle pointer.
2)muddy colors as well. soft yes, muddy, no.
3)when "art" quilter's feel they need to tell everyone they make "art" or that they are an "artist" anyone who creates is an artist. period.
4)pinning. I totally hate pinning my layers together, but really, who doesn't.
5)Y seams

Things I'd like to try:
1)curved piecing
2)paper piecing
3)any of those lonestar/new york beauty etc.. quilts
4)hexagons, grandmother's flower garden quilts
5)I'd like to master feathers. I know people who freehand them. someday....
6)classes with Harriet Hargrave, Diane Gaudynski, and Karen McTavish
7)Go to Paducah and Housten quilt festivals.

Total Pageviews