Friday, September 27, 2013

Midnight at the Oasis Quilt



Not long after the needles started to cool from making the Marcelle Medallion quilt from the Liberty Love book, I received in the mail my copy of issue 96 of Quiltmania.  After my friend Danielle posted a picture of her copy of the magazine with the Midnight at the Oasis quilt by Jen Kingwell inside, I knew I would have to have another go at making a Medallion quilt.  Midnight at the Oasis looks even more challenging than Marcelle in that it requires hand applique in some of the borders, which other than appliqueing some circles on my Steam Punk quilt, I have not done before.  It is another "adventure" for me!  With some help from Danielle and a local friend I managed to work out a technique to make the Orange Peels using freezer paper and a glue stick!  It worked, but don't look too closely!  There is plenty of room for improvement with my technique, but I'm going to go easy on myself starting out as I'm sure I'll improve with practice.  Next border is all applique, so I'm looking forward to that!  

If you would like to quilt along with me, please do!  I'm using #midnightoasisqal if you want to find it on Instagram. You can also purchase the pattern from Amitie Textiles here, if you don't want to hunt down the magazine issue.

12 comments:

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

It looks great already! My local newsagent had my copy of the mag for me today, I really should work on a couple of other things first.....but it is calling to me!

Lorna McMahon said...

Great job, Jeanette! Very colourful and modern! Shared on my facebook page.

Hilary said...

This looks beautiful!

Little Island Quilting said...

I love, love, love your fabric choices. I've got that issue too but the 'all in French' instructions is kind of putting me off!

Stacey said...

Luv those bright colours....this is going to be fantastic...looking forward to seeing your progress :)

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Gorgeous!

Sharon said...

Your medallion is looking great so far...love the bright colors!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

You know how much I adore this, but I'll say it again. You are just so good at putting fabric together!

Anonymous said...

Amazing job....congrats. Love your version. Marie

imquilternity said...

Love, love, love it! It's so bright, colorful, and cheerful!

Mystic Quilter said...

So bright and cheery - lovely!

Juliann in WA said...

I am just starting this quilt. So fun to see your fabric choices. Very inspiring!

Total Pageviews