Sunday, July 17, 2011

Moda Rouenneries by French General Octagon Quilt

So, I pulled out another almost completed quilt top out of my magical cupboard of never ending possible quilt tops;) and finished this one today.  I had 16 insets plus the corners left to do, so not too terrible, but I still need to work on improving my y-seams.  Does anyone feel like calling me the "Octagon Quilt Lady" yet?  I think this is the ninth I've made plus I have one more in that magical cupboard that will appear at some later date.

I have to say that I really like this quilt and it has found its home.  These pictures are in guest bedroom and I have been wondering what quilt will live in this room permanently.  I had this one in the back of my mind as a strong possibility -- especially when my husband requested that we paint this room red.  Ummm, no. No red interior walls, thank you very much.  We have a red house, my husband chose the color--it looks great, but I refuse to have red on interior walls.  I told him I could compromise and decorate with red and chose the oyster wall color with this in mind.  Anyone with great decorating skills have any ideas how I could add to this room with this quilt in mind?  I still have to pick out the curtains too--(that is a long story as to why I don't have curtains in this room yet...)

8 comments:

Andi said...

It looks gorgeous. And your inset seams look fine to me. Any bobbly bits will be smoothed out in the quilting!
And I see you have a penchant for HUGE quilts. I like!!

Kirsty said...

Loving your work! Isn't this stunning fabric. I completely understand your attraction to it. And you've made a beautiful job of the quilt too. Very inspiring. As for decorating, its such a powerful statement on its own but that Canadian decorator, Sarah Richardson, who I love, says to use the fabric as a jumping off point. http://sarahrichardsondesign.com/portfolio/project/interior-design-show-2011/red-room

With that in mind, (congratulations on restraining your husband from painting the walls red - bless!) why not make a valance, trim a lampshade, trim the oyster curtains, make some throw pillows, trim some pillowcases and sheeting, and even consider upholstering a chair or even a headboard using the Rouenniere range? The turkey red from that range would make a great paint colour if you wanted to trim a chair or a side table or a mirror surround. x

Kirsty said...

Me again! Here's another link to Sarah's work, this time to a bedroom in which she incorporates a quilt.
http://www.sarahrichardsondesign.com/portfolio/project/sarahs-cottage/master-bedroom

Jeannette said...

I like it and yes you have made a lot of that pattern but I never tire of it. Your long arm will be booked before you get it.

I have to say I like red on interior walls...depends on the shade and flooring, etc. I do think with those beautiful floors it would be too much.

Unknown said...

This quilt is fantastic. Can you remember where you bought the pattern and what it was called. I love it and it would look so great on my bed too. www.myfatquarter.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

Beautiful quilt. I think I would choose something similar to that dark tan in the quilt for the curtains. Let the quilt be the star of the room. You could add small accents of the red other places such as a picture and knick-knacks.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I am also interested in what the pattern name is and if it's available! Your quilt is just amazing!! Beautiful.

Unknown said...

Jeanette!! I've also been looking for this pattern!!
Can you tell me where to get it please!!??

Total Pageviews