Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hullabaloo Wonky Cross Quilt



So, it's sort of tricky getting a half way decent photo with the winter light we've got going on here now, but this is my latest quilt top I  recently sewed up.  I had a fat quarter bundle of the Urban Chiks Hullabaloo fabrics staring at me in the face and I suddenly decided that I had to do something with them.  I really have an obsession with Urban Chiks's fabrics.  I started a Flickr group for quilts made from Urban Chiks fabrics a while ago here, if you want to take a look.  Feel free to join the group if you are interested and post pictures of your own quilts made with their fabrics.  I like their Hullabaloo line, not my favorite, but a good one.  I thought it needed to be split up though into two groups--masculine and feminine.  I used Elizabeth Hartman's Wonky Cross tutorial to make the quilt which you can find here.  It's a really fast and simple quilt to make, the only tricky bit is getting the cross to line up on both sides in the final part of sewing the block.  After a couple goes, I figured out that I need to pinch the seams and hold to find out where it needed to line up adjusting it carefully, then I just sewed over one seam to hold it in place.  After checking to see that it was straight I could go back and sew the entire bit.  It saved me a lot of ripping out and realigning and made it quicker to do.

The other half of my fabrics I will pair together with Kona medium gray (instead of the Kona coal in the Wonky Cross).  Not sure yet what I will do with them, but I am thinking about making something wonky, but not crosses...  I'll test it out soon.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

two gorgeous tops in a row ... WOW

Mama Spark said...

Wonky crosses are a bit tricky, but worth the effort. I really like how it came out. Did I tell you I got to meet one of the chicks at market? I couldn't tell who she is but it was fun to get to meet her!!! I am obsessed with their fabrics too.

Total Pageviews