Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hair Scrunchie Tutorial

So, I have been meaning to post this tutorial days ago but I couldn't find my camera battery charger! But all is good now. I wanted to do a tutorial right after I made them because I would have liked to have an explanation myself as to how they are made. Thank you to all who requested a tutorial! Not as simple as one would think and dare I say it, but DH actually worked it out with me and we figured out how to construct them together over morning coffee.



So... Start with a piece of fabric 51/2 inches by 22 inches. I found that any longer makes it difficult to put the elastic in later, any shorter and it won't be scrunch up enough. One fat quarter could make three hair scrunchies! Also, you will need to cut a piece of elastic about 8 inches long, I used flat 1/2 inch wide elastic because it is easier to handle but I am sure you could use other variations.
Next, sew right sides together about 2-3 inches long backstitching at each end using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Then, leave a space about 2-3 inches long for the opening and continue sewing the rest of the length of material, backstitching at each end.

Now, turn the material right side out through the opening.

Next, turn only the short end so that it is facing wrong side out. Take the long end which is facing right side out and stick it inside through the opening so that the two short raw ends are lined up with the seams matching.
Pin the seams so that they stay matching.
Ok, here is the trickiest bit of the whole procedure. You have to sew the ends in a circle without sewing over the top of it and thus closing the tube. It took me a while to get the hang of this, but one thing that helped me was to place the material under the pressure foot as shown in this photo. With your fingers carefully pull the top of the fabric away from the needle. Be careful not to sew your fingers!

It looks like this when you complete the circle...

Now turn so that right sides are out.

Next, insert the elastic through the tube you just made. It helps to push with the thumb as far as you can go and then grab from the other side.

Pull on the elastic with both hands from each end to make sure elastic is straight and not twisted within the scrunchie.

Sew the elastic ends together back and forth several times to make sure it is secure.

Now it is almost complete.

All that is left to do is to edge stitch the opening together.
Try to be as neat as possible because the stitching will show! You can rotate the stitching to the inside of the scrunchie to make it neater.

So there you go! The final product!

I am not sure if there is an easier way to make these, let me know if anyone has an easier way through any of these steps. I hope you enjoyed the tutorial!

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Okay, now I am going to have to try making one! Thanks for the tutorial, you did very well!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. I'm going to get some elastic the next time that I'm in town and try it out.

What size elastic?

Shelina said...

Looking over some of your old posts that I have missed - thank you for the hair scrunchie tutorial. I've made a few before, but they weren't very neat where I joined the fabric into a circle. I'm definitely going to have to try it your way.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mermaid's Purse said...

After 4 attempts to make a scrunchie, I had to look for a tutorial lol! Am so glad I found this one ........ it's so easy thankyou!!!

DogpackMOMMA said...

Looks good! Thanks & Happy Trails!

Total Pageviews